Project Five: Open Project

For my final project, I want to employ Rasquache aesthetics to stylize collaged still lifes of Chicanx culture, or a collaged self-portrait. Rasquache refers to a particular attitude, often made visible in domestic behaviors or repurposing, widely practiced in low-income Chicanx communities. The term, derived from the Spanish word rascuache, finds its roots in the Nahuatl Indigenous communities, and was initially used as a classist slur to describe the behaviors of poor Mexican-American families. 

It’s presence today, however, holds an embodied sensibility in refashioning economic and social disparities into distinct aesthetics and creative ways of being. Rasquache ventures past ideas of reusing, and gives birth to innovation, through the use of objects deemed as broken or useless. 


The elements I include in my images will include personal objects from my Chicanx background, combined with color-use and craft appliques, either digitally or tangibly, to embellish my image or images with everyday, 'low-collar' craft supplies.


Below I've included some visual inspiration from Latinx artists, who employ some of these elements in their own works.

William Camargo, Chicanx Domestic Still Life #4. Courtesy the Artist.
Gabriel Garcia Roman, Dorian, Photogravure w/ Chine-Colle and silkscreen, 15in x 18in. 2019. Courtesy the Artist.

Lucia Hierro, Mangucito, Digital print on brushed nylon, felt & foam. 2018. Photo by Matt Eaton. 

David Zamora Casas, El Burro Siempre Regresa al Trigo.








Comments

  1. Elena, loving this already. Thank you for being so informative; I already feel like I've learned something new even from this stage in your project! It's so nice to have the visuals paired with your written post. I so encourage you to work with tangible appliques! I think physical textural components could really push your concept. Plus, I'm sure it'd be super fun. :) For some reason my mind wandered to including a decorative border or something to frame the image (maybe due to the 3rd image, I know it's not a border but at first glance I thought it was). I'm excited to see your progress! Good luck finishing up the semester and congratulations again!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great concept! I love how you are pulling from art traditions within your own culture and I am excited to see how your piece develops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elena! I'm a little late to this initial post but I can definitely see the influence of the images above on your more recent posts. I love the idea that you're reclaiming a word that had negative connotations in the past. It's obvious with the progress you've made so far that "innovation" is one of the key words for this project. You mentioned using some "craft" materials in your final image; will your final product be digital or physical? I could see it going either way- I'm so so excited to see this develop!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment